The Importance of Teeth for Jaw Bone Health
When one or more teeth are missing it can lead to bone loss at the site of the gap. This loss of jaw bone can develop into additional problems, both with your appearance and your overall health. You may experience pain, problems with your remaining teeth, altered facial appearance, and eventually even the inability to speak and/or eat normally.
In the same way that muscles are maintained through exercise, bone tissue is maintained by use. Natural teeth are embedded in the jaw bone and stimulate the jaw bone through activities such as chewing and biting. When teeth are missing, the alveolar bone, or the portion of the jaw bone that anchors the teeth into the mouth, no longer receives the necessary stimulation it needs and begins to break down, or resorb. The body no longer uses or “needs” the jaw bone, so it deteriorates.
Potential Consequences of Tooth and Jaw bone Loss
- Problems with remaining teeth, including misalignment, drifting, loosening, and loss
- Collapsed facial profile
- Limited lip support
- Skin wrinkling around the mouth
- Distortion of other facial features
- Jaw (TMJ or temporomandibular joint) pain, facial pain, and headaches
- Difficulty speaking and communicating
- Inadequate nutrition as a result of the inability to chew properly and painlessly
- Sinus expansion
* If you are currently wearing Dentures or need Dentures, Click here to read about Same Day (All on 4 to 6) Perma-Bridge Concept
* If you are missing one or more teeth and need a single tooth replacement or a bridge, Click here to read about Single and Multi – Tooth Supported Implants
*We Are Medicare Certified*
Did you know that in certain circumstances, Medicare Part B will pay for medically necessary surgical procedures like Bone Grafting, Sinus Lifts, Ridge Expansion and issues that accompany Jaw Bone Loss and Deterioration that effect your health?
Call us for a free consultation today at 760-539-0470 or click the link below for your online request.
Click Here to Schedule your Complementary Exam / Second Opinion Today!